Terry Gibson has over 30 years’ experience in various areas of the law, including commercial litigation, agricultural law, bankruptcy, secured transactions, construction law, product liability, and mergers and acquisitions.
Terry has appeared in state and federal courts within Iowa and several other states, including federal courts in Kentucky and the New England area.
Terry was an original member of the Wandro & Associates firm when it was originally founded in 1996 and rejoined the firm in 2015.
Terry’s first position was with the Farm Assistance Project with Iowa Legal Aid in 1986 during the height of the farm crisis in Iowa, assisting farmers in reaching agreements around the restructuring of debt obligations and the reorganization of farming operations to meet the needs of farm families during that critical time in Iowa’s agricultural industry. Throughout his legal career, Terry has kept the goal of assisting those facing significant legal and personal struggles as the focus of his practice.
Terry’s broad range of experience also includes:
- Serving as in-house counsel to a global ag finance company as well as a publically traded U.S. based ag finance company, with responsibility over areas such as retail and wholesale financing structures, litigation and collection, dealer consolidation and management, E-discovery compliance, and establishment of a corporate pro bono program in the Des Moines area assisting Iowa Legal Aid;
- Being appointed as an Assistant and Regional Assistant U.S. Trustee and overseeing bankruptcy cases for the Department of Justice in Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island;
- Representing clients in the private practice of law over several years including representation of both debtors and creditors in complex bankruptcy reorganizations as well as large personal filings, along with numerous workouts or restructurings; assisting farmers and agri-business concerns with respect to financial transactions, consolidation or restructuring and other matters; construction litigation and claim resolution; mergers and acquisitions of small businesses; and general commercial litigation.
Terry returned to the private practice of law in 2015 after serving as in-house counsel for several years in order to use his talents, energy and compassion to assist clients in defending their interests and resolving disputes to serve their interests and long-term goals. While the “devil is in the details,” Terry’s experiences over his career serves him well in exploring the big picture issues facing clients. Terry believes that an attorney truly is a “counselor” to his clients.
- State of Iowa (1986)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa (1986)
- Unites States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa (1987)
- Luther College – B.A. in Business Management and Political Science with honors, (1983)
- Participant- Justice Semester- American University, Washington, D.C. (fall semester of 1982)
- University of Iowa College of Law- J.D. with distinction (1986)
- Wandro & Associates – Associate Attorney (2015 – present; 2000-2002; 1996-1998)
- John Deere Financial, Inc.- Assistant General Counsel (2002-2015);
- Ag Services of America, Inc.- General Counsel (1998-2000);
- Gibson Law Firm- Member (1995-1996)
- United States Trustee Program- Assistant U.S. Trustee and Regional Assistant U.S. Trustee( 1988-1995);
- Legal Services Corporation of Iowa- Farm Assistance Project- Staff Attorney (1986-1987)