At the helm of Wandro & Associates, P.C. since establishing the firm in 1996, Steve Wandro draws on over 30 years of experience and solid relationships in the statewide legal community to achieve results for his clients.
He relishes the challenges of advocating for clients in a wide variety of areas and prides himself on responsive and compassionate representation. He puts clients first, and it shows. Here are just a few examples of Steve’s effective legal representation throughout the years:
- Tobacco Litigation: Wandro & Associates P.C. is one of the five firms that represented the State of Iowa and successfully settled its lawsuit against the tobacco industry for $1.7 billion dollars. Steve has also represented plaintiffs in a number of actions against tobacco companies.
- Fighting for Farmers: Steve successfully represented over 1,000 Iowa farmers in a consolidated products liability action involving seed corn. He obtained an $11 million dollar judgment on behalf of a defrauded cooperative. Additionally, Steve successfully represented over 200 farmers in litigation involving controversial “hedge-to-arrive” commodity contracts.
- Consumer Protection: In a class action, Steve represented consumers of animal vitamins that resulted in a settlement of $21 million dollars. His firm was also lead counsel of three firms that represented plaintiffs in a class action against the manufacturers of diet pills.
- Iowa Schools: Steve successfully represented over 160 small Iowa school districts in an action challenging the distribution of Iowa’s one cent sales tax. In a separate matter, Steve obtained a successful settlement for over $1 million on behalf of several Iowa school districts in a products liability lawsuit.
Steve maintains a general civil practice with a focus on commercial, mass tort and product liability litigation. He also has extensive experience in foreclosure, bankruptcy and other financial matters and represents a number of institutions in those areas, as well as defending Fortune 500 companies in class action litigation. A “Super Lawyer,” Steve’s expertise has been recognized in the larger legal community and led to numerous opportunities. He has advised the U.S. Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Administrative Oversight and the Courts on Chapter 12 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. He also served on the Iowa Attorney General’s Task Force on Mediation and the Production Contracts Task Force.
Associations & Affiliations
- Edwin Moore Inns of Court, Master
- Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Agricultural Law Associations
- Federal Bar Association, Iowa Chapter (former president)
- State of Iowa (1984)
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Iowa
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Preparatory education: University of Iowa
- B.A., high distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, 1981
- Legal education: University of Iowa College of Law
- J.D., 1984
- Partner, Brown, Winick, Graves, Donnelly, Baskerville & Schoenebaum (1991-1996)
- Associate, Davis, Hockenberg, Wine, Brown, Koehn & Shors (1988-1991)
- Law Clerk, United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Iowa, Honorable Lee M. Jackwig (1987-1988)
- Attorney, Legal Services Corporation